Thursday, April 5, 2012

Face, with Estee Lauder Topaz Mosaic Eyeshadow Palette

In college, I went through what only can be called a monochromatic neutrals phase. Each outfit would be composed of variations on one shade: i.e., brown, tan, beige, ivory. I've since learned the value of a pop of color, but there's still a part of me that loves a clean, neutral palette.


For that reason, I've kept meaning to try out this spring's Estee Lauder Pure Color Five Color Eyeshadow Palette in Topaz Mosaic. The other evening, getting ready for a date at The Orchard in downtown Frederick, I saw my opportunity to create a whole face around this palette.

Outdoors.
Indoors.

The eyes actually took me three tries to get right. The first try, I overdosed on the peach shade in the upper left corner and ended up with orange brows. The second try, I went with the standard darker crease and realized it didn't suit this palette. Finally, I succeeded in replicating - or more accurately, approximating - the look on the models as made up by Tom Pecheux for the Derek Lam Spring 2012 show.


Charlestongirl of Best Things in Beauty was instrumental in me getting this look (and the palette, for that matter). Not only did she showcase beautiful swatches, but she also shared some tips from Pecheux on how to wear the yellow in this palette: "Try layering with one of the taupe or brown shades to add warmth and depth. Yellow doesn't need to be scary, try using it just as a highlighter on the brow bone until you get used to playing with such a different shade." Charlestongirl pointed out that Pecheux had placed the darker shades on the center eyelid, instead of in the crease as usual.


First, I applied the scary upper left peach-orange shade to the center of my lid, being very careful not to stray into the crease or onto the brow. This served as a warm base. Second, I washed the upper right gray taupe shade all over the eyelid. Third, I took the lower right brown shade and softly lined my upper lash line; I stopped short of the inner corners, however. I also smeared some brown onto the center of my lid. Fourth, I swept the lower right shimmery pastel peach along my brow bone. Last, I dabbed the inner corners with the yellow (which can be applied either sheerly or heavily).

It took trial and error, but I got there. Topaz Mosaic gave me a clean and warm yet sultry look, and the yellow just makes things interesting. For mascara, I used my favorite, Dior DiorShow Mascara in Mitzah. Described as a "tawny panther sparkling brown," the mascara deposits tiny shimmery brown particles along my lash line. I turn to this when I feel black mascara would be too harsh. Mitzah is limited edition and available only on Sephora; currently, it's on sale for $14.50. I still wanted a bit more color, so I lined my inner lower rim with Giorgio Armani Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil in Copper, a beautiful rose-gold that has a brightening effect.


For my cheeks, I decided to try By Terry Rose De Rose Sheer Liquid Blush in Amber Rose. The beautiful warm coral-amber stain turned out to do triple duty as blush, bronzer, and contourer. I applied this very sparingly, as a couple of tiny dabs were quite enough. The product has a heavy rose fragrance, and I found it rather cloying for the first ten or fifteen minutes. At the same time, the rich scent lends a touch of luxury. Best Things in Beauty has swatches on this as well. Charlestongirl is right in that once applied, this brownish shade looks very natural even on light skin.


On my lips, I used Guerlain Rouge G in Gisele, a gorgeous deep rose mauve that grabs almost as much attention as a red lipstick. I'd also bought Estee Lauder Pure Color Lipgloss in Citron Kiss, so I decided to see what would happen if I layered it over Gisele. Wow! The lipgloss deposits a very thin layer of pale sunlight, and it transformed Gisele into an easier, more graceful version of itself. It really helped pull my lips and eyes together. I may have to start layering Citron Kiss over everything.


A perfect face for a warm spring evening. For a base, I kept it light with my usual Tarte Smooth Operator Tinted Moisturizer with SPF in 04 Agent over Rodin Olio Lusso. I did add a pop of color, and a nautical feel, by pairing my crisp white shirt with this navy blue print skirt by Maeve of Anthropologie.


The food and company, by the way, were great.


fin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...